Here’s a fun fact: May 11th is considered Eat What You Want Day!
That means today is the perfect opportunity to enjoy the foods you love the most – or the foods you often deprive yourself of.
Though I believe in maintaining a balanced diet, as a food lover, I also find it difficult to resist sampling the calorie-packed treats I often prepare for others. I’ve learned the key to maintaining my weight – without depriving myself – is portion control.
Read on for a few more easy ways to maintain your weight or weight loss goals without depriving yourself of the things you enjoy.
- Use smaller bowls and plates to reduce your portion size.
- Change your cooking method to cut back on calories. For instance, try grilling, steam frying or boiling over frying in oil.
- Love spinach or cheese dip? Choose vegetable sticks over chips for dipping as a healthy snack option.
- Add a protein to every meal. High-protein foods fills you up quickly and can prevent you from overeating.
- Go for thin crust over deep dish or pan pizza to reduce your carb intake.
- Instead of ordering a huge entrée for dinner, try ordering two small appetizers instead.
- An easy way to avoid eating junk food? Don’t buy it. Try to keep the number of processed food items you purchase at your local grocer to a minimum.
- Instead of running back for seconds (and thirds) at a buffet or large gathering, fix yourself a plate with reasonable-sized portions to avoid multiple trips.
- Pack your lunch the night before you head into work to avoid making poor last-minute decisions when the clock strikes noon.
Tell Me: How do you cut calories?