Slow Cooker Creamy Enchilada Soup
Make ahead this delicious, flavorful soup that is perfect for a chilly weekend.
- Slow Cooker
- 3 Tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 15 oz can yellow corn
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 2 to 3 pounds uncooked chicken breasts skin removed
- heavy cream, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste
- Optional grated Mexican cheese blend, sour cream cilantro,
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Saute the chopped onion for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin and sugar. Stir and cook about 1 minute. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and chicken stock. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. Simmer about 1 minute.
- Transfer to the bowl of your slow cooker. Stir in the corn and beans. Add the uncooked chicken breasts. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours. Remove the cooked chicken and discard the bones. Shred the chicken and stir back into the soup. Stir in heavy cream to taste. (I add about 1/2 cup).
- Season to taste. Serve with grated cheese sour cream and cilantro.